Job Type: Permanent
Job Industry: Charity
Contact Name: Charlotte Dunkerton
Job Location: London
Job Title: HR Manager
Job Salary: £35000 - £40000 Per Annum
We are looking for an experienced HR Manager for an established charity based in Deptford. You will be overseeing and developing a small team of 3 and will have major input into building their people-strategy as they grow.
Support and advise managers across the organisation on employee relations issues
* Provide practical, pragmatic advice in line with best practice and the needs of the organisation
* Build capacity within the organisation for managers to manage employee relations issues themselves
Standards and processes
* Develop or revise HR policies as dictated by change in employment legislation or evolving best practice/ organisational need
* Assist with organisational change, advising managers on restructures, TUPE, relocations etc.
* Manage and monitor recruitment and training budgets for staff
* Maintain HR records including sickness and holiday; project manage the introduction of a new HR system.
Learning and development
* Manage the PDR process
* Conduct a skills assessment across the charity and build a approach to training that suits the evolving needs of the charity
* Review staff training requirements in conjunction with departmental managers to ensure continuing professional development for staff
Culture & Values
* Work with the senior management team to ensure Values & Culture are embedded throughout the organisation
* Ensure our people management practices reflect values and expected behaviours
* Raise awareness of Equality and Diversity values and behaviours and leading by example
* Take part in the staff Culture & Values Group, as a link between our people and senior management
Retention & Wellbeing
* Undertake benefit and salary reviews benchmarking within industry sector
* Plan a retention strategy for including benefit and salary reviews benchmarking
* Support the promotion of wellbeing initiatives
* Analyse and report on workforce trends eg. Sickness Absence
* Help raise awareness of workplace environment adjustments and adherence to best practice
Managing the HR team
* Manage and develop the HR team of an HR Assistant and 2 HR Co-ordinators
* Hold for accountability and support the teams delivery of our end-to-end recruitment journey and employee lifecycle; and all aspect of payroll, working with our payroll provider
* As an employer committed to Equal Opportunities, we will assess applications in line with these criteria that we consider either as being essential or desirable in this role.
Experience and qualifications
* You have a great operational knowledge of HR but can also think and plan at a strategic level;
* You have experience of all aspects of HR management across the above areas of employee relations, L&D, policies and processes, and recruitment.
* You have substantial practical experience of advising and supporting managers on HR law and practice
* You have experience of providing advice, coaching and guidance to managers and staff enabling them to work more confidently and effectively
* You have managed small teams in the past and have an interest in growing and developing your staff
* You have worked in a fast-changing or growing organisation
* You have experience of building relationships at all levels and can influence different audiences
* You have worked in a multi-site environment, including with remote workers.
* You have experience of payroll and pensions administration.
* You have experience of facilitation or training.
* You are CIPD qualified or working towards.
* You have experience of working in the third sector/with volunteers.
* Competencies and behaviours
* Current knowledge of a broad range of employment legislation
* A good understanding of the principles and application of HR strategy
* Excellent communication both written and verbal
* Exceptional interpersonal skills, demonstrating professionalism in all dealings
* Excellent at managing upwards and downwards, including influencing and persuading skills
* Ability to problem-solve and make effective decisions on the spot
* The ability to plan and prioritise a varied workload
* IT literacy, in particular of using Microsoft applications and the capacity to learn new systems
* Ability to operate with sensitivity, tact and diplomacy
* A proactive, common sense approach
* Excellent attention to detail
* Proven ability to provide a customer focused service
* Excellent, proven organisational skills
* Commitment to charity’s mission and values